Sunday, April 22, 2012

Social Media Project

The Social Media project was definitely an interesting take on Social Media, that's for sure.  My group chose Chick-Fil-A as the company that we would follow.  Here is the link to our Wiki site:

  https://ism3004socialmedia.wikispaces.com/Chick-fil-A

Chick-Fil-A is a fast food restaurant that employs a Facebook page and Twitter account.  The first thing you get when you Google Chick-Fil-A is the company home page and the next thing, if you have your location set in Google, is local Chick-Fil-As in your town.  This is excellent marketing for Chick-Fil-A in its own right.  I've never used Bing, so I don't know much about it other than that it's a search engine.  I prefer Google, personally, and I was not in charge of this portion of the project, so I can't give you much other than what's right there on the Wiki.

The Wikipedia for Chick-Fil-A was filled with the company's history and religious and political views, plus the homophobia controversy that has been spread in recent years.  Chick-Fil-A doesn't have an official YouTube channel, but you can find their commercials and parodies on YouTube.  You can also find rants, praises, settings, music videos, and anything else anyone can do with a restaurant in a video.  I'm sure there's probably someone breaking into a Chick-Fil-A on security footage some where on YouTube.

I think I found TwitrRatr to be very interesting.  The idea of being able to launch a search for a company (or your company, even) is very neat.  The results will give you a look at what people are tweeting about your company and how much is positive, negative, and neutral.  If Chick-Fil-A has never heard of this, they should.  If any company is never heard of this, they should.  This is easily the neatest feature I've seen on the web this semester.  Most of the feedback for Chick-Fil-A seems to be relatively positive.  I mean, they're food is rather delicious.

We also decided to add Pinterest to the list of Social Media sites to look around.  I thought this would be a good idea because I know my fianceé and her friends are on there looking up wedding things and funny pictures all the time, so why shouldn't this be a great avenue for Chick-Fil-A?  It seemed like it was a good call because there was plenty of stuff to find on Chick-Fil-A on there.  There wasn't an official Chick-Fil-A account, except for a couple of localized restaurants, but there were plenty of pictures promoting the product from other users.

I think the only fault that we found with Chick-Fil-A's Social Media was that they had no official Social Media Policy.  This doesn't seem to be harming their advertising and perhaps it's not published anywhere, but just something that's "known."  Who knows?  But I think it would be an excellent idea for them to write up something and post it on their website and perhaps their Facebook page, also.

All in all, I found this to be an interesting project all around.  It was definitely interesting going to all the different social media sites (I still get headaches every time I go on Twitter, though) and seeing the different opinions of businesses.  It was also interesting in that I was working with a group online.  I have never done that before and it seemed to work out well for us this time (other than one person not showing up at all, but 6/7 isn't bad!).

No comments:

Post a Comment